Thursday, January 6, 2011

Music Review # 15: Dubside of the Moon


I did not want to review this album because I can not find the words to convay the bassness of this record, so I tryed my best and this is what I came up with..

When I was told by a co-worker that there was a Reggae/Dub tribute to the masterpiece Darkside of the Moon by Pink Floyd I had instant doubt that it would be any good.  Since I am a music lover and can't pass up writing a review on someone that has massacred the best selling record of all time, I had to see what it was all about.  The Easy Star All-Stars is the very daring band that has taken the challenge to redo this epic record.

Let's Get Into It....

From the starting of the album you hear bong hits, people chocking on the smoke, people laughing and a bongo and then screaming just like in the album but then it takes a much faster pace when "Speak to Me & Breathe" hits but it is just the beginning.  "On the Run" I will admit is one of the coolest sequences of the album since they Dub the ever living hell out of it.  "Time" starts out with clocks but then has the sounds of trumpets and a coo-coo clock added into it. One of my favorite tracks on the original album is "The Great Gig in the Sky" with that amazing woman's voice solo, this is the only track I am not so sold on with Dubside since the original is just so mind blowing, you really can't top it.  "Money" starts out with a lighter flick, a bong hit, a guy chocking on the hit and then they loop it out of order over and over again until the guitar rifft hits, very cool intro.  "Us an Them" is fabulous, the saxophone, organ and harmony in this one keeps you guessing and it keeps it very interesting on what direction they are taking the songs.  "Any Colour You Like" is a ray of color indeed.  When I hear this track, I have a hard time keeping my eyes open because of all the awesome colors I can see when this song is playing.  The horns rule this song.  "Brain Damage" is one out of only a few songs that they have kept the same rhythm as the original recording, I am not complaining, I am just making it known that The Easy Star All-Stars didn't go to out of the loop.  "Eclipse" is just amazing, with the female singers, bongos, organs its the shortest song on the album, but still nothing but nothing short of awe...

Summation: 5/5 for first not destroying a timeless record and second for not being afraid to change up some of the songs and making them there own.

Favorite songs: All

No comments:

Post a Comment